"Customers will never love a company until the employees love it first." Simon Sinek
BEMO team members are our greatest asset. They are the soul of our small company, and their daily attitudes translate into our products, customer service, and marketing messages.
So, last month, as a company, we drafted a list of 23 benefits that we are proposing to roll out at BEMO within the next 28 months (between July 2020 and December 2023). We decided to be transparent and publish them even if we know that some may never make it or new ones may be added. Of course, the prerequisites for these changes mean BEMO reaches and maintains a certain level of flexibility and profitability, but with our predictions, the future looks bright!
Every employee at BEMO attends Monthly and Quarterly Business review, where we share everything about the company (financials, direction, new hire, etc.). As part of the Quarterly Business Review, we decide which of these 23 benefits will be enabled at any given quarter.
A new webpage will be up shortly, outlining these awesome benefits. Make sure to sign-up for the blog for updates!
The List Of 23 Benefits
1) Paid Vacation - BEMO offers four weeks (20 days) of paid leave, a few extra personal days, and your local national holidays every year.
2) Paid Holidays - BEMO offers your local, national holidays every year. In the US, the team observes the following 10 holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King Day
- Memorial Day
- Fourth of July
- Labor Day
- The Day After Thanksgiving
- The Day Before Christmas
- Christmas Day
- New Year's Eve
3) Three-Month Sabbatical Every Five Years - Every five years, team members are eligible to take a three-month-long paid sabbatical.
4) Paid Parental Leave - When you welcome a new baby, BEMO encourages you to take up to 12 weeks leave, at 80% paid salary. You can choose to take an additional eight weeks of unpaid leave.
5) Paid Smartphone - As a cyber-security company, we use our smartphone every day for Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) with Facial recognition. As we also communicate via Outlook, Teams, we need to make sure your mobile device is fully secured. As a team member, we will provide you either the latest Apple iPhone 11 or Samsung Galaxy S10 – your choice!
6) Co-working Space Stipend - Do not feel like working from home? No sweat. BEMO will pay for a permanent desk in a co-working space of your choice.
7) 40-hour workweek - Work is a marathon, not a sprint. We do our best to regularly stick to 40 hours a week, with the occasional client or project emergency. Why is this on here? Even though this should be a no-brainer, when you join a company you never really know what is expected of you. You might get higher pay, but do they expect you to work 60 - 70 hours a week? With us you'll know what you're getting yourself into - an actual 40-hour workweek.
8) Fitness Allowance - BEMO will pay up to $100/month (US or equivalent to your country) for your gym membership, yoga studio membership, running shoes, race registration, or whatever activity you do to stay healthy.
9) Charitable Gifts Match - When you donate money to a qualified charity, BEMO will make a matching gift to that charity on your behalf (up to $2000/year). Your charity must be registered as a 501c3 in the United States.
10) Retreats: Join us for our company get-together twice per year (one company-wide and one with your department)! Our next retreat is in Cancun, Mexico!
11) Software Benefits: Visual Studio Enterprise + Azure consumption credit
12) Free Books, Audio books, and a Kindle Get a free Kindle and all the free books - digital, physical, and audio - you like, anytime.
13) Personal Development Supportive mentoring and on-boarding to make joining BEMO a breeze. Training offerings to continue both technical and personal skill development.
14) Continuing Education Allowance - If you are interested in taking classes to learn something new or further a skill, we will cover $1,000 annually. It does not have to be something directly related to your career. The point is to learn something that you feel enriches you as a person.
15) Top 25% salaries - We monitor industry salaries and make sure we are paying in the top 25%, based on skills and experience, for every position. Salaries are standardized in the New York market and automatically indexed based on the team member's location.
16) Profit-sharing: When the company does well, all team members share the profits!
17) 401k Retirement plan (US only benefit) - BEMO will match your contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 5% of your salary
18) A Piece of The Pie - If BEMO is ever sold, tenured Team Members will be eligible to receive a portion of the value of the company.
19) Health Insurance - We offer health insurance (medical, dental, and vision) for all our team members, international or the US, BEMO pays 100% of premiums for US teammates
20) Health Insurance Coverage for Family - BEMO pays 50% for dependents for medical, dental, and vision; for international teammates, we reimburse up to set amounts.
21) Life Insurance - BEMO offers an X multipler of your annual salary life insurance policy (US or equivalent to your country). BEMO fully funds it, so you pay nothing!
22) Short Term Disability - If you fall ill or injure yourself and are unable to work because of it, let us know, and you can take 30 days off at 100% pay. If, after that, you are still unable to work, BEMO's Short Term Disability policy kicks in, and you will continue to earn 60% of your salary until you're better, up to 3 months off.
23) Flexible Spending Account (FSA) (US only benefit) - A FSA is an account where you can set aside pre-tax money for out-of-pocket medical expenses or dependent care expenses. Every year you decide upfront how much money you want to put in the account (max $2,400/year for medical expenses and $5,000/year for dependent care expenses).
There you have it, folks! 23 benefits for 2023. The team brainstormed and came up with some really great offerings. What do you think? Did we miss something? Which is your favorite employee benefit? Let us know in the comments below.
Subscribe to the blog to make sure you see what happened next when we voted...
Questions for our team? Reach out to schedule a meeting:
Leave us a comment!